Third Party Certification
Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens are the first and only sunscreens in the U.S. certified by Ecocert Cosmos Natural.
Given the lack of global regulation on natural cosmetics and the misleading marketing from many companies, Love Sun Body has pursued Cosmos Natural Certification as a way of proving to retailers and consumers that our products are truly 100% natural and environmentally responsible. Many companies use the phrase “natural” even when chemical ingredients co-exist with natural ingredients in a formula. The unregulated use of “all-natural” devalues the notion that a product is completely natural. Having Cosmos Natural certify that our formula is of 100% natural origin – may prompt explanation – but it gives us an opportunity to educate consumers and ensure they know that our product is sourced and produced responsibly, with an understanding of where our ingredients come from and are truly 100% natural and free of any harmful chemicals.
Love Sun Body started working with Ecocert Greenlife in October 2016 to certify all products Cosmos Natural. The COSMOS-standard offers clients and customers independent, trusted and clear standards. COSMOS-certified products are produced to the highest standards for organic and natural cosmetics, and are safe, effective and good to use. The Cosmos Natural certification includes raw ingredient, formula, packaging, labeling and manufacturing approval and annual audits of the company and manufacturing facilities.
COSMOS was created in 2010 by the five leading organizations BDIH, Cosmebio, Ecocert Greenlife, ICEA and Soil Association (both associations and certifiers) in organic and natural cosmetics. They founded it as an independent international non-profit association to protect and promote organic and natural cosmetics, and to launch a global harmonized standard for the benefit of both manufacturers and consumers. The five founding COSMOS members together represent the vast majority of the world’s certified organic and natural cosmetics companies, that’s over 2000 brands in more than 50 countries producing over 45,000 cosmetic products and ingredients.
On December 31, 2016, the organic and natural cosmetics world changed. The five founders/members of COSMOS ceased to certify new products according to their own (private) standards and began to conduct all new certifications to the COSMOS-standard. Thus, on January 1, 2017, the COSMOS-standard went live.
The COSMOS-standard applies to cosmetic products that are marketed as organic or natural. Its guiding principles are to:
- promote the use of products from organic agriculture, and respect biodiversity;
- use natural resources responsibly, and respect the environment;
- use processing and manufacturing that are clean and respectful of human health and the environment;
- integrate and develop the concept of “Green Chemistry”.
The Standard covers all aspects of the sourcing, manufacture, marketing and control of cosmetic products:
- Origin and processing of ingredients – describes five categories, their origin requirements and how they may or may not be treated:
- Water – must comply with hygienic standards;
- Minerals and ingredients of mineral origin – must be of natural origin and may be modified with simple chemical reactions;
- Physically processed agro-ingredients – may be plant, animal or microbial origin but no GMOs, no critically endangered species, only products of (not a part of) animals;
- Chemically processed agro-ingredients – same as above, and the chemical treatments must respect the principles of Green Chemistry with the resulting ingredients complying with strict limitations of toxicity and biodegradability;
- Other ingredients – a very limited list of preservatives and some other ingredients and petrochemical moieties are temporarily allowed and are reviewed on a regular basis, taking into account availability of acceptable alternatives.
The Cosmos-standard defines natural origin:
The following are of natural origin: water, minerals and ingredients of mineral origin, physically processed agro-ingredients, chemically processed agro-ingredients (and parts thereof) derived wholly from the above. The following are not of natural origin: petrochemical moieties, preservatives and denaturing agents from petrochemical origin.