Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens are certified by Ecocert Cosmos Natural
Many brands, especially those outside Europe often use a number of synthetic ingredients that are not common to natural & organic cosmetics. They would be classified as ‘semi-natural’ or ‘naturally inspired’ although consumers may perceive them as pure natural due to the marketing. This is often in relation to the use of the word “Organic” or “Natural” being used prominently on the front of the packaging (or even in the brand name) where there is in fact very little organic or natural ingredient content. With so many brands making natural and organic claims – many of which are unsubstantiated. The unregulated use of “all-natural” devalues the notion that a product is completely natural.
Standards play an important role in providing a level playing field in terms of cosmetic formulations. Certification also helps build consumer confidence, since standards give reassurance that products do not contain potentially harmful or unsustainable ingredients.
Given the lack of global regulation on natural cosmetics and the misleading marketing from many companies, Love Sun Body pursued Cosmos Natural Certification to ensure consumers and retailers that our products are truly 100% natural origin and environmentally responsible.
The COSMOS-standard defines the criteria that companies must meet to ensure consumers that their products are genuine organic or natural cosmetics produced to the highest feasible sustainability practices.
Love Sun Body Sunscreens are the first & only sunscreens in the U.S. certified by Ecocert - Cosmos Natural. The COSMOS-standard signature is a consumer guarantee for organic & natural cosmetics that you can trust.
The COSMOS-standard offers clients and customers independent, trusted and clear standards. COSMOS-certified products are produced to the highest standards for organic and natural cosmetics, and are safe, effective and good to use. The Cosmos Natural certification includes raw ingredient, formula, packaging, labeling and manufacturing approval and annual audits of the company and manufacturing facilities.
Having Cosmos certification gives us the opportunity to educate consumers and ensure they know that our products are sourced and produced responsibly, with an understanding of where our ingredients come from and are truly 100% natural origin and free of any harmful chemicals, synthetic ingredients or petroleum based ingredients.
The “COSMetic Organic Standard” was officially launched in February 2011, and as a result of Europe’s leading natural cosmetic certifiers coming together and forming a non-profit association, COSMOS-standard AISBL. The COSMOS-standard association consists of five founding members who now authorize and oversee the certification, including the Soil Association (UK), Ecocert (France), Cosmebio (France), BDIH (Germany) and AIAB/ICEA (Italy).
They founded it as an independent international non-profit association to protect and promote organic and natural cosmetics, and to launch a global harmonized standard for the benefit of both manufacturers and consumers. The five founding COSMOS members together represent the vast majority of the world’s certified organic and natural cosmetics companies, that’s over 2000 brands in more than 50 countries producing over 45,000 cosmetic products and ingredients.
The COSMOS-standard applies to cosmetic products that are marketed as organic or natural. Its guiding principles are to:
- promote the use of products from organic agriculture, and respect biodiversity;
- use natural resources responsibly, and respect the environment;
- use processing and manufacturing that are clean and respectful of human health and the environment;
- integrate and develop the concept of “Green Chemistry”.
The Standard covers all aspects of the sourcing, manufacture, marketing and control of cosmetic products:
- Origin and processing of ingredients – describes five categories, their origin requirements and how they may or may not be treated:
- Water – must comply with hygienic standards;
- Minerals and ingredients of mineral origin – must be of natural origin and may be modified with simple chemical reactions;
- Physically processed agro-ingredients – may be plant, animal or microbial origin but no GMOs, no critically endangered species, only products of (not a part of) animals;
- Chemically processed agro-ingredients – same as above, and the chemical treatments must respect the principles of Green Chemistry with the resulting ingredients complying with strict limitations of toxicity and biodegradability;
- Other ingredients – a very limited list of preservatives and some other ingredients and petrochemical moieties are temporarily allowed and are reviewed on a regular basis, taking into account availability of acceptable alternatives.
- Composition of total product
- Storage, manufacturing, and packaging
- Environmental management
- Labelling and communication
- Inspection, certification and control
The Cosmos-standard defines the following are of natural origin: water, minerals and ingredients of mineral origin, physically processed agro-ingredients, chemically processed agro-ingredients (and parts thereof) derived wholly from the above.
The Cosmos-standard defines the following are not of natural origin: petrochemical moieties, preservatives and denaturing agents from petrochemical origin.
Nanomaterials are forbidden.
Additionally, genetically modified organisms (GMOs) cannot be utilized in products which seek to obtain COSMOS certification.
Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens are the world's safest and highest quality sunscreens that meet the regulatory requirements of the FDA OTC Monograph System, the European Commission’s recommendation on UVA protection, Health Canada Natural Health Products Regulations and are certified Cosmos Natural.
Ecocert Greenlife SAS hereby confirms that Love Sun Body has been audited and certified 100% Natural Origin according to the certification scheme:
COSMOS Version 3 (including all sub-versions)
Certificate issued on June 8, 2022
Ecocert Greenlife SAS
BP 47 Lieudit Lamothe Ouest - 32600 L'isle Jourdain