Major brands now realize that consumers want natural sunscreen. Without even changing the formulas, many are adding a “natural” labeling when it’s not.
There are so many words that we are told to look for when shopping for our makeup, skincare and sunscreen: natural, organic, chemical-free, cruelty-free, and eco-friendly. Natural can mean, “we use some natural ingredients,” For sunscreens, mineral can mean “we use mineral UV filters and slip in chemical UV filters and synthetic ingredients”. Cruelty-free can mean “we still test our products on animals in China”. We must know how to read a label.
Advantages of using natural sunscreens:
- No toxicity: The mineral UV filters zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sit on top of the skin and are not absorbed into the bloodstream. Several common chemical UV sunscreens filters are absorbed by the skin and enter the bloodstream.
- No irritation: Without any harmful chemicals, artificial colors, or other biproducts, they are less likely to cause any skin irritation.
- Overall effectiveness: Natural ingredients supplied by the earth have been effective for centuries. They are all the skin needs to remain healthy. Stick to the basics and enjoy the benefits.
- Well-being: It’s important for all your skincare to be natural for your overall health, but the benefit of using natural and skincare provides your skin with the purest form of the ingredient on the market.
- Earth-friendly: Natural products are not only good for the skin, they are good for the environment. The chemical UV filters oxybenzone and octinoxate have been banned in Hawaii, Key West and the US Virgin Islands for bleaching the coral reefs.
After a few weeks, you’ll be able to notice the difference between an imitation fragrance and a natural fragrance and you’ll never want to switch back. However, just because it’s a natural scent, doesn’t mean you have a lesser chance of irritation as natural sources can affect your allergies just as badly. If you’re prone to breakouts, it’d be best to test a product on a small area of skin before using it on your whole body. To make sure your fragrance is natural, look for “natural fragrance” or “fragrance-free” on the item. And keep an eye out for chemicals that act as a fragrance such as limonene, a liquid that gives off an orange-like smell.
Many drugstore and luxury brands add drying agents to products such as moisturizers, lip balm, and conditioner? If you want your products to moisturize, make sure they do not include sulfates.
Everyone’s tolerance varies for different ingredients, both natural and synthetic. You might break out using only toxic chemical sunscreens and switching to natural sunscreen may clear up your skin.
Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens are the first and only sunscreens in the U.S. certified by Ecocert Cosmos Natural and have been clinically tested hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and are reef safe.
At Love Sun Body, each plant and mineral ingredient that we source is certified Cosmos natural. All of our products are biodegradable, all of our packaging is recyclable, minimized and is environmentally friendly. Our manufacturing incorporates natural cleaning ingredients.
Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens meet and exceed the regulatory requirements of the FDA OTC Monograph System, the European Commission’s recommendation on UVA protection and Health Canada Natural Health Products Regulations. Love Sun Body 100% Natural Origin Mineral Sunscreens are made with the safest UVA and UVB filters - SPF 30 formulas non-nano zinc oxide and SPF 50 formulas non-nano zinc oxide and non-nano titanium dioxide and plant based moisturizers.
Love Sun Body was also given the best score for safety and efficacy by the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Love Sun Body sunscreen formulas are certified PETA Cruelty Free and Vegan, with no eye stinging ingredients.